Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, March 30, 2013

21 day sugar detox

It's been about a year since I started my "fitness" journey. In that time I've completely changed the way I eat and have made exercise a priority. I've managed to loose all my baby weight and then some! It feels good to be able to fit into my college jeans, but I have to admit that after two babies, they just don't fit the same. Pregnancy has transformed my body, without a doubt. My biggest issue was the stubborn fat that wanted to linger on my tummy and thighs. After a lot of research and some encouragement from some like-minded mama friends, I decided that my sweet tooth was the culprit and a detox was in order. Sugar, in all forms, was putting a halt to my journey. So 21 days ago I started a 21 day sugar detox. It was pretty daunting reading about it. No fruit, no simple carbs, no cheese or milk. My diet for the past 21 days consisted of lots of veggies, meats, healthy fats (avocado, nuts), complex carbs (quinoa, brown rice) and free range chicken eggs. I did add fruit half way through, but tried to limit them to breakfast and lunch. After the first few days I started getting headaches, but they were gone after day seven. The second week I started feeling less bloated, which is funny because I didn't even know I was bloated, until I wasn't anymore. Ha! My energy picked up a ton, and my sugar cravings were gone. Week three was more of the same awesomeness, along with clearer skin. This was a great challenge. I don't think I could ever make it permanent. I'd miss bread and pasta and cheese too much, but I did learn healthier versions of some of these foods that I will permanently add to my diet. For example. I discovered caulimash. Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes! It's amazing how similar they taste! If you didn't know, potatoes turn into sugar almost immediately after being consumed. They're not the most terrible thing you can eat I suppose, but they certainly don't have nearly as much nutritional value as cauliflower :)
I've also discovered sprouted bread opposed to whole wheat, and that all pastas are not created equal.
Ok, so here is the slightly embarrassing part. I'm going to share my before and after pictures. I didn't think I would. But I decided that I can't be proud of myself and embarrassed at the same time.

Also, I already had a very healthy diet, so I didn't loose much weight (1.5 pounds) but weight loss wasn't my goal.

I encourage EVERYONE to give this detox a go. It is a little restrictive, yes, but it is just a handful of days. If you learn one thing about how to live a healthier lifestyle in 21 days, it's worth it right?

I think so :)

I have a ways to go on my journey, but I'll get there. Of that, I have no doubt.



1 comment:

  1. Great update, Angelina! I was hoping you could answer a quick question about your blog! I'm Heather and please email me when you get a free moment at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete